-
Re: LPD All District
But I dont see how you pick him over players like begley and Martin that had the same or better stats as him.....I agree is definitely on the all LPD team but not POY they year...yes he led his team, but to losses....you gotta say if you take a certain player away from the team and they dont win hardly as much..but they still only won two games with him...great athlete but imo definitely not play of the year compared to the other players that were in it
-
Re: LPD All District
Instead of complaining about it, try going to your coach and ask him why the kid got it...after all at the all district meeting, a coach can't vote on their own player. They can just put em on the board and then the head coaches vote. So, if the coaches picked it, apparently they thought the kid deserved it.
-
Re: LPD All District
Vanover definitely carried his team. He also had impressive stats.
If we were talking about offensive poy, then I'd be more inclined to pick him. EV is an excellent shooter and very good at setting up his shots. I think some of the other players we've talked about may be more balanced on the defensive side of the ball.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoeburnCane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Either or. I'm not big on picking apart the semantics of either acronym. Vanover both was the MVP of his team, and also put up the best stats against the worst odds (bad supporting casts as compared to most teams they played, double/triple teams, etc). </div></div>
-
Re: LPD All District
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cvcgrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vanover definitely carried his team. He also had impressive stats.
If we were talking about offensive poy, then I'd be more inclined to pick him. EV is an excellent shooter and very good at setting up his shots. I think some of the other players we've talked about may be more balanced on the defensive side of the ball.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoeburnCane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Either or. I'm not big on picking apart the semantics of either acronym. Vanover both was the MVP of his team, and also put up the best stats against the worst odds (bad supporting casts as compared to most teams they played, double/triple teams, etc). </div></div></div></div>
Maybe, but defensive stats are more skewed by being on better teams as well. If your team plays better defense as a whole, you'll likely have more opportunities to force steals and come off the weakside for blocked shots. Either way you go, players like Martin, Begley, Brickey, Sproles, etc...all benefitted from being on better teams.
-
Re: LPD All District
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raider13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But I dont see how you pick him over players like begley and Martin that had the same or better stats as him.....I agree is definitely on the all LPD team but not POY they year...yes he led his team, but to losses....you gotta say if you take a certain player away from the team and they dont win hardly as much..but they still only won two games with him...great athlete but imo definitely not play of the year compared to the other players that were in it</div></div>
Winning has to do with the team--Burton/Appy/PV/JJK all had a better team than Clintwood did this year...much better. I'll go out on a limb and say no other player in the LPD led his team in points, steals, assists, rebounds, and was 2nd on the team in blocked shots...and did all of that with a weaker supporting cast.
502 points
147 total rebounds
66 assists
58 steals
5 blocked shots
All of the above per Max Preps. Vanover did it all for Clintwood this year, didn't get much help (unlike your Martins/Begleys/Brickeys of the district), and was keyed on by every other team in the district when they played Clintwood. I'll also lay odds that no one on here knew how dominant of a rebounder he was from the 2-guard spot--nearly 150 rebounds out of a shooting guard is impressive.
I'll give another what-if scenario to chew on--if Clintwood basketball didn't exist, and Vanover was on any one other team in the LPD, they would have likely won the district running away. If Burton would have had him, they could have outscored everyone else and ran that much more. If PV had him, they would have had a go-to scorer that would have kept them out of some close games this year. If Appy had him, they would have had a guy that was proficient at driving the lane which would have made the outside shooters like Allen & Brickey that much more dangerous.
Either way you split it, Vanover's MVP/POY/whatever other acronym of recognition you want to give him. Now, there's better players in the region--but I don't know if anyone's given me a reason to doubt this District POY decision yet.
-
Re: LPD All District
Taking all that into consideration, I'd have to go with Begley, Brickey, and then Vanover.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoeburnCane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cvcgrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vanover definitely carried his team. He also had impressive stats.
If we were talking about offensive poy, then I'd be more inclined to pick him. EV is an excellent shooter and very good at setting up his shots. I think some of the other players we've talked about may be more balanced on the defensive side of the ball.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoeburnCane</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Either or. I'm not big on picking apart the semantics of either acronym. Vanover both was the MVP of his team, and also put up the best stats against the worst odds (bad supporting casts as compared to most teams they played, double/triple teams, etc). </div></div></div></div>
Maybe, but defensive stats are more skewed by being on better teams as well. If your team plays better defense as a whole, you'll likely have more opportunities to force steals and come off the weakside for blocked shots. Either way you go, players like Martin, Begley, Brickey, Sproles, etc...all benefitted from being on better teams. </div></div>
-
Re: LPD All District
The numbers he had, with all the chaos of a roster, that Clintwood had, impressed me. I don't think there was more than like 2 games in a row that Clintwood had the same roster. Nearly every game he lead them in scoring, steals, assists, and rebounds. You can take the scoring component out, you can say he shot a lot so he should get points, but the others are hustle and effort stats. As for the comment about defense, I seem to recall a few times when he was put into a lockdown type defense and did pretty well with it. Biggest issue he had was he had to cheat to cover players who were not only playing, but sometimes starting, that wouldn't have been in the game if the injury bug hadn't hit so much (I'm not even talking about ones who didn't come out).
Nothing wrong with different opinions. I guess I just see that he had more than double the ppg of anybody else on his team. Only one other player averaged double digits (and that was an even 10 ppg). Had over double rebounds of anybody else on his team. Had nearly double assists of anybody else on the team. Had over double steals of anybody else on the team. I mean take the points out of it, the rest of the stats show he did the gritty stuff as well.
Feel free to find me any other player who had to lead his team in every category, and not just lead but normally be 2x anybody else.
I'll agree that if you want to go by an MVP, probably not, since I think MVPs should be on winning teams, but I don't think there was any player that coaches had to prepare for more.
-
Re: LPD All District
He got enough of the Coach's he played against vote for "PLAYER OF THE YEAR". That's good enough for me!!
-
Re: LPD All District
Yes, Day will return...talked to him the other day...
-
Re: LPD All District
Guys, he plays for clintwood that won two games. and cvcgrad, he didn't carry anybody obvioulsy anywhere did he? He's a good player and thats about all. Martin or Begley imo should have got it. Vanover could not step up and lead his team this year. I mean atleast more than two games. heck fire!!